Happy Hump Day Y’all! As part of this new series, I wanted to continue sharing my weekly workouts with you all – whether you’re looking for new workout ideas or curious how to balance a variety of different types of workouts. Without further ado, let’s get right into how I worked up a sweat last week!
Sunday: Xtend Barre
Monday: Rest Day. I just could NOT bring myself to workout. And ya know what? That’s ok! Listen to yo body!
Part one (Strength):
- Front squat 6×3 (I maxed at 85lbs)
- Push jerk 6×3 (I maxed at 75lbs)
Part two (WOD):
- Row 500
- 30 wall balls (I used a 14lb ball first round, but someone took it so I ended up with the 10lb ball for the last two)
- 15 burpees
- 2 minute rest
*This workout was surprisingly tough!! Tons of cardio had me feelin all sorts of dizzy by the end!
- 400 m run
- 12 power cleans (I did 75lbs)
Rest 5 mins
3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, ….
- 3 power snatches
- 3 overhead squats (I did front squats)
- 3x double unders (I did 6x singles)
Thursday: LA Fitness circuit
All movements done 3×12
- Dumbbell bicep curls (started with 15lbs each hand and progressed to 17.5, then 20lbs) alternated with Front facing flies (lay with your face in the bench, towel suggested! 5lbs in each hand)
- Bent-over one arm row (started with 20lb dumbbell, worked up to 25lb, then 30lb) alternated with Front barbell raises (30lb bar). On the raises, keep your core tight – no rocking!
- Lat pull downs (started with 55lbs, worked up to 65lbs, then 70lbs) alternated with hanging leg raises
- Burnout to finish: 3 sets of 20 ab pass throughs with stability ball
Friday: LA Fitness plyo circuit
- Trx squat and row alternated with bosu ball side lunges (3 sets of 20 – 10 each leg)
- Step ups w KB (3 sets of 20 – 10 each leg, be sure to alternate starting leg every round! I used 25lb KB) alternated with KB deadlifts (35lb)
- Hamstring curls on ball alternated with bosu ball front lunges (3 sets of 20 – 10 each leg)
- 3 sets of 20 each
- Jump jacks on bosu (in plank position) alternated with Grasshoppers on bosu (also in plank position)
- Burnout to finish: Low squat pulses on bosu (3 sets held for 30 secs each). Resist the urge to fall on your face and keep sinking lower!
*Guys – this workout was FUN!! I put on a rockin playlist and was drenched by the end!
Saturday: Hot Yoga
So if you’ve made it this far through the post, YAY! So let’s explore the next topic at hand. Living for the weekend.
WHY. Why do so many of us do this? We save plans with friends for the weekend. We save wine for the weekends. Shoot, some of my friends even save sex for the weekend! (I do not condone that behavior)
Really though. Work is so demanding. Household chores need to get done. Some of us are busy raising little humans. We’re overworked. We’re tired. We tell ourselves we’ll see friends on Friday and we’ll see that new movie on Saturday. And then the Sunday night blues set in and we realize we’re willing 5 days away just to live for 2.
Well, I’ve decided to do better. Wanna know how?
Here are just a few ways I plan to quit counting down till the weekend:
- Create a special atmosphere at home. Yesterday I bought a fresh bouquet of flowers, a new yummy smelling hand soap and home scent reminiscent of our trip to Hawaii. Hoping the trifecta makes me feel like I’m working from Kauai all week 😉
- Practice gratitude. I’m blaming this one on PMS, but when I arrived at I went to yoga the other day and realized I forgot my mat at home. I literally told Ken, “Of course this would happen to me.” WTF?! No more pity parties. Sounds like someone needs to get back to her gratitude journal from last year.
- Take breaks. YOU GUYSSSS. I’m so bad at this. I work from home – and there are days where I literally don’t move for 9 hours. I’m talking still in my pjs, havent had a single glass of water, stressed about all the work that needs to get done. Its awful. So I’m going to make a concerted effort to get UP. Do my hair. Put on makeup. Workout during lunch. Maybe actually eat lunch outside of the house. Shit, I’d settle for just eating lunch away from my keyboard!
- Schedule a mid-week date. Why not meet your spouse or friends out for a post-work glass of vino? Or enjoy dinner at one of your local favorite restaurants? Let’s all stop saving our favorite things to do for the weekend! Schedule an impromptu date with your significant other (or best friend!) mid-week and make the ordinary a bit more extraordinary!
Any tips on how you make the most of every day? Please share!